Tuesday 2 November 2010

Fascinating headband

As a nod to the Melbourne Cup, I decided to wear a headpiece to work for the Melbourne Cup today. Not that I'll get to see it. I have a meeting that goes straight across the race, organised by someone who clearly doesn't know what a horse is. I may have to step out to go to the bathroom for 15 minutes! Fortunately I'm not a lead person at the meeting :) My choice for the headband had to be conservative, so I chose muted colours. I found a supplier of plastic headbands (Wholesale Hair Clips) and ordered a supply. I created a sleeve for the headband out of some spare black material. This was probably the hardest step! Getting it the correct size, turning it inside out (always my least favourite task when making spaghetti straps for dresses), then closing off the ends, all took about three times as long as decorating it. I then sewed the two bunches of feathers (guinea fowl and ostrich) to the band. Finally I sewed some sequins and beads onto a small piece of felt. I glued the felt piece to the front of the feathers and the headband, used an extra piece of felt across the back (secured with glue), and then sewed a few stitches for extra hold. Just wish I could be at the race: I rock a pair of gumboots!

No comments:

Post a Comment