Friday 12 November 2010

Burns

Okay, so this is something I coulda, shouldn’t, but did anyway. I have the kind of skin that doesn’t repair well. It only takes a scratch from a thorn to end up with a faint white line that becomes a lingering memory of the past. I don’t help the situation much. I’m often found bashing through the scrub, surviving incidents with horses and bicycles, and cooking with stoves, ovens, camping gas stoves, and open fires. I also seem to be curiously attractive to mosquitoes, resulting in irritating lumps that I couldn't resist scratching as a child. The worst offender would have to be burns. I added to my collection last night by burning my arm on an oven tray. It possibly wasn’t the best idea to use the oven while drinking champagne with friends... Some of my most significant scars are from burns. There’s one on my arm about 3cm long and 5mm wide from cooking a cake; a scar the size of a 50cent piece (about 3cm diameter) between my thumb and index finger (also from cooking); and then there’s the scar on my calf muscle that’s about 5cm diameter, stupidly obtained from my motorbike exhaust and completely avoidable if I hadn’t been wearing shorts. I was a student at the time, and now in my conservative old age wouldn’t even contemplate wearing shorts on a motorbike – especially with a scar to remind me of the consequences. So after all this I’m sensing I need to prepare a safe work method statement around preventing burns to my person. First step, don’t drink and use the oven at the same time. That’s what take-out is for!

No comments:

Post a Comment