Tuesday 18 January 2011

Third tunnel of aggression

I had a weekend catching up with friends and didn't do much, so I thought I'd write about something I did that proves it's a small world.

Back in 2004 I was passing through South Korea on my way back to London. I took a day tour to the demilitarised zone between South and North Korea. We visited the third tunnel of aggression, dug by the North Koreans in an attempt to cross the DMZ into the South undiscovered. The tunnel was discovered in 1978. Three others have been found and there may be as many as ten more!

Imjingang Station, waiting for the reconstructed
railway line to open to Pyongyang

I had finished walking through the 265m of tunnel open to the public and returned to catch the train back to the surface. Suddenly I heard my name called out, and I turned to see an old school friend just entering into the tunnel. 73m under the ground and I run into someone I hadn't seen in years. I'd heard she was in India, she knew I was in South Korea, but what are the odds of meeting each other in a part of the world that no country can lay claim to?

No comments:

Post a Comment