Monday 24 January 2011

Indoor climbing

Going straight up a vertical wall isn't easy. I've put it off for years partly for lack of a partner and partly because my arms and shoulders are weak and I doubted I could do it. Not so! With the help of some regulars from SPAN, I whipped straight up a green route, touched the roof and abseiled back to the floor. The ClimbFit gym in St Leonards has a great range of climbs, including overhangs and bouldering walls. There's plenty for a beginner like me to try. I did my belay training, completed quite a few green climbs, and even tried a few blues. Early in the night I could finish the blue routes, but after two hours I had no more lift in my legs. I was stoked to last that long, and was pretty pleased with the blue routes I did finish. For something that didn't pick up my heartrate that much, I was sweating like I'd run a mile. The next day I had a nice ache all over, which was enough to make me feel like I'd had a workout, but not enough to make me walk like an old woman. And I know you're meant to use your legs the most, but bring on the great arms and shoulders I've seen on female climbers :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment