Tuesday 7 December 2010

Pulling teeth



This is such an obvious pun, but removing my wisdom teeth has been like pulling teeth. In 2008 a dentist told me I needed to remove them just as I was about to move to England. I went to England as a student, so I decided to try my luck with the NHS. This became a lot more urgent when one of my wisdom teeth broke. I went to a dental hospital in Newcastle, England and got an emergency filling. I was told to get a referral from a dentist, but my appointment two weeks later was cancelled as I was ten minutes late. Under duress, they gave me an emergency appointment a week later and I got the referral I needed, back to the dental hospital. The hospital didn't have the facilities to read a digital x-ray, so took another one. I then had to wait another month to come back for an examination with the x-ray. Despite thinking my next appointment would remove my teeth, it was another examination! By this time I only had three weeks left in the country, and figured it was a lost cause. Back in Australia my health fund made me wait a year until they would cover teeth extractions. So finally two years later, I had another appointment for an x-ray, another appointment to look at said x-ray and then I had all four teeth removed at once. The top two took about two minutes each to pull, the one on my left took about five minutes, and the one on my right took ten minutes. All those appointments for twenty minutes work. After getting my teeth removed, I had a deep clean. One of the needles shot adrenaline straight into my blood stream. It gave me pins and needles down my arms and heart palpitations that sped up my breathing and made me cry. I can't believe people take drugs like that willingly! So after ten appointments (not including the two for the deep clean) I'm no longer wise. I'm trying not to think about the cost...

1 comment:

  1. Ouch, hope you are feeling OK? If it helps you can request the injections to be adrenaline free - I had trouble with the heart rushing feeling - and now always request this - works a treat - had one today for a little filling. x

    ReplyDelete