Tuesday 2 October 2012

Desktop Publishing

Layout of a postcard incorporating photo montage, reflections, conversion to grayscale and transparency.

Most who know me, will know that I haven't been around much this year, as I've been off to class every Saturday. I'm doing a Certificate in Desktop Publishing at Technical and Further Education (TAFE).

My interest in this course stemmed from taking on responsibility for laying out the newsletter for my outdoors club. I had done a newsletter in Adobe InDesign, but found it onerous, despite working through various tutorials. Even though it was hard work, I really enjoyed it and wanted to learn more. I found the course I was looking for through TAFE.

TAFE courses are varied, interesting and great value for money. In the first semester I had six hours of 'face' time, and in the second four and a half hours a week. All this for less than $500 for the year. An added bonus was being able to buy software at student prices (and with discounts of up to 80% off I think you almost get your course fees back).

We've mostly worked in Adobe InDesign, but have also been introduced to various aspects of Photoshop and Illustrator. I feel more than confident enough now to try out new things in each of these software packages. On top of that we've learnt a lot about colour and fonts, and the design and printing industries. We had to do a client project, and we're expected to produce output to industry standard.

I've had great fun laying out magazine and DVD covers, product catalogues, posters and information sheets, tables, and creating pictures with text.

I may have lost my Saturdays for the year, but I've certainly gained a lot of new skills and had fun doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment