Wednesday 26 September 2012

Kayaking


IN the Nepean River learning to swim after failing to paddle!
My inauspicious introduction to kayaking was at a SPAN Outdoors Club training weekend in October 2011. I didn't stay in the kayak for long, tipping out within two minutes (see picture). As it turned out I was an unstable paddler in an unstable kayak.

I ventured into the same kayak at the beginning of January 2012, with 10kg inside the rear hull. I have since bought the same kayak second-hand, a Marauder by Elliott Kayaks, a medium recreational sea kayak.

I didn't waste any time and joined the Lane Cove River Kayakers, who do a 6 or 12 km time trial every Wednesday night and participate heavily in marathon events. It only took a few goes in the kayak to become more stable, allowing me to enter my first 6 km time trial in February. I quickly knocked 10 minutes off my time, became stable enough to reduce the weight in my boat, then sat on the same time for a few months.

In May I ventured out on the Parramatta River to paddle from Concord to Cockatoo Island. I'd only just taken the ballast out of my boat, so was not feeling particularly safe when a boat went past and created waves. I felt really unsafe when a RiverCat was heading straight for me and I wasn't convinced I could get out of its way in time. There may have been a few tears and a small amount of panic, and I didn't go near waves again for another month. I've been back out there since, and actually enjoyed the waves created by passing boats.

I love kayaking. There is something about being out on the water in a craft that has no motor, allowing you to enjoy the peace and quiet of a river that is usually surrounded by bushland. I very rarely get wet, apart from the occasional incident of mud sucking my feet down, causing me to fall over in the water when trying to get back in my boat. I occasionally get startled when a fish leaps out of the water right next to my boat, and ducks can be a hazard when they refuse to get out of the way. It's relaxing and good exercise and is something that can be done with others, especially if you've got access to a double kayak. Pick someone athletic so you can enjoy the ride!

Wear a Personal Flotation Device (PFD, or better known as a flotation vest) and go with someone that knows what they're doing. Put lights on your kayak at dawn, dusk and at night.


Bobbin Head at dawn
 
Cockatoo Island in the morning

Lane Cove River at dawn
 
Hawkesbury River near Bar Point late morning


No comments:

Post a Comment